The Road Home Program is dedicated to the mental health and wellness of veterans, service members,
members of the National Guard, reservists and families at no cost and regardless of discharge status. Call us at (312) 942-8387 (VETS) or fill out the Get Care form.
Here are five steps you can take to help a veteran in emotional pain:
- Start The Conversation: “Are you thinking about killing yourself?” It’s not an easy question to ask, but it could save the life of an at-risk person.
- Keep Them Safe: Remove access to guns, pills or other lethal items.
- Be There: Listen carefully. Learn what the person is thinking or feeling.
- Help Them Connect: For an immediate crisis, call the 988 Suicide or Crisis Lifeline. Then make a referral to professional services including the Road Home Program and others.
- Stay Connected: Staying in touch after a crisis. Studies show the number of suicides goes down when someone follows up with an at-risk person.
DO YOU NEED HELP?
HOW WE HELP
INTENSIVE OUTPATIENT PROGRAM